Re: [Groff] Special characters and font escapes

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] Special characters and font escapes
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 08:32:15 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> > The second instance of "Dr\(:oge" displays correctly, but the
> > "\fBDr\(:oge\fR" instance does not (depending on which X shell I try
> > it in, it either displays a replacement character, blank space, or
> > some other character).
> >
> > Is this a known issue? Any way to work around it?
>
> I can't repeat that.  Saving the above snippet as `test.man' and
> adding `.TH' as the very first line, the command
>
>   groff -Tutf8 -man test.man
>
> works just fine, emitting correct UTF8 at the console.

Thanks for checking it.  I had been testing on a Debian machine
but just now tried it on a Fedora one. It works as expected there.

I guess it's probably just another bug introduced by one of the
Debian patches to groff.

Next time I'll try to remember to test somewhere other than just
on Debian before reporting problems

  --Mike