Re: [Groff] Rules drawn with \D are rounded

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Rules drawn with \D are rounded
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:57:46 -0400

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006, jon arbuckle wrote:
> On 9th July 2006, Peter Schaffter wrote:
>
> >I've been contemplating adding some macros to the mom set to
> >ease the creation of simple graphical objects: rules, boxes and
> >elipses/circles ("ease" meaning "make easier for newcomers to
> >groff").
>
> Not to distract from the main topic, but aren't such graphical
> drawing operations better left to pic?

Oh, most definitely, if a user already knows pic.  And certainly
pic's the right choice for, well, "pic-like" things: flow charts,
simple diagrams, etc.  But there are three graphical elements
routinely used to complement type itself: rules, boxes, and
ellipses.  It makes sense to have these three objects available as
macros in any reasonably complete macro set, such as mom.  That
means using \D escapes to draw them.

--
Peter Schaffter