Re: [Groff] Sun's troff now available

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Sun's troff now available
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 10:04:50 -0400

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

If you had a "pre-output" macro (just as you can have macros which
are sprung by bottom-of-page, so you could have macros sprung by
"about to output line"), then this could look at [...]

Similar to TeX I think it is next to impossible to find a suitable
macro interface for the things you want to do.

Pity. Seems like an elegant concept, and very familiar.

a) Inter-word spaces: if larger than a threshold, expand the
   inter-character space until these are reduced below it.

Instead of handling this with a macro I could imagine to set and unset
a flag which makes troff do that.

b) Is there an end-of-line character (like the soft hyphen above,
   which might not have been explicit in the source) which we would
   like to hang over the end of the line?  Then slightly increase
   the linelength of this line (or redefine "-" to have smaller
   width, or whatever) so that it sticks out by the right amount.

Ditto.

Wasn't there a compile-time option for hanging punctuation at one time, similar to the widow/orphan option? A quick grep doesn't turn it up in the source, so perhaps I was hallucinating.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"