Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] patch for pdfroff
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:03:25 +0100

Hi Zvezdan,

On Friday 16 June 2006 8:47 am, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
> The patch against 1.19.2 that creates pdfroff2 is attached below.

Thanks for suggesting this potential enhancement.  I think, however, that
I prefer `--emit-ps', or `--emit-postscript', (one or the other, but not
both, otherwise abbreviation becomes unwieldy), to your choice of
`--leave-postscript-output', for the name of the new option.

One problem I do see, with your patch, is that it always assumes that
`--no-toc-relocation' is the desired behaviour; this may not always be
the case.  Better to define `PDFWRITE="$CAT"', rather than its normal
`PDFWRITE="$GS ..." definition, if `--emit-ps' is specified, I think.

I also note that you've added the `-dSAFER' option to the `gs' invocation.
I'd prefer not to do that, as not all users may want it.  Better to add a
`--gs-options="option list"' option to pdfroff, so that users can make
the choice, IMHO.  (This is something which was discussed before, but I
simply haven't found the time to implement it).

> Keith is this acceptable to you?
> Can it become a part of a regular pdfroff?

With a little more work, I see no reason why not.  Minimum extra required
is to add the description for the `--emit-ps' option to the `--help'
option handling code, and to update the pdfroff manpage to match.  Please
also remove the `-dSAFER' from the hardcoded `gs' options.  If you also
feel like having a stab at implementing a `--gs-options' facility, please
go ahead.

Regards,
Keith.