[Groff] LANG affecting groff + mom output

From: Gordon Bonnar
Subject: [Groff] LANG affecting groff + mom output
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 14:58:41 -0700

Hello all,

I am new to the groff scene, having been introduced recently at a
tutorial by the brilliant and charming Peter Schaffter here in
Ottawa, Canada last week.

As I started to use it, I noticed this peculiarity.  When my LANG
environment variable is set to en_US.UTF-8 which it generally is
as I work in unicode I get very weird groff outputted postscript
files.  If I change it to en_US.iso-8859-1 all is well.  To show
you an example, I have uploaded some files for you to look at,
they are based on the mom examples in the latest mom distribution
(1.4).  The file I used was letter.mom.

#Here is the example with my default LANG variable
address@hidden examples]$ set | grep LANG
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
address@hidden examples]$ groff -mom letter.mom > letter-UTF-8.ps

Now, lets set it to iso-8859-1
address@hidden examples]$ export LANG=en_US.iso-8859-1
address@hidden examples]$ set | grep LANG
LANG=en_US.iso-8859-1
address@hidden examples]$ groff -mom letter.mom >
letter-iso-8859-1.ps

Both of these output files are available at:

http://www.poeticgeek.net/files/groff/letter-UTF-8.ps
http://www.poeticgeek.net/files/groff/letter-iso-8859-1.ps

I am running version 1.18.1.1 of groff and 1.4 of the mom macro:

address@hidden examples]$ groff -v
GNU groff version 1.18.1.1
GNU groff comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of groff and its subprograms
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named
COPYING.

called subprograms:

GNU troff (groff) version 1.18.1.1
GNU grops (groff) version 1.18.1.1
address@hidden examples]$ grep Version \
/usr/share/groff/1.18.1.1/tmac/om.tmac
Version 1.4

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I would
like to be able to continue to leave my LANG set to US_en.UTF-8.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to look into this.

Sincerely,
Gordon Bonnar