Re: [Groff] Hey, our headman is in the news!

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Hey, our headman is in the news!
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:03:19 +0200

> > > Shrinkable horizontal space can probably be done without a
> > > complete redesign of groff, but vertical shrinkable space
> > > is impossible IMHO.
> >
> > Vertical shrinkable (or rather, stretchable) space can be
> > done easily with macros and a diversion.
>
> Well, yes, but using diversion has a lot of side effects...

What do you mean by "side effects"?  I can think of only one
real issue (which is, however, quite restrictive), and that is
that when formatting directly to the page you can use an
arbitrary number of position traps, while inside a diversion you
have only one (!) diversion trap.  (Would it make sense to lift
this restriction and implement more traps in a diversion?)

On the other hand, from the user's perspective this shouldn't
be a problem -- that's what we use macro packages for... :-|