Re: [Groff] Meeting Werner

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] Meeting Werner
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 15:35:36 +0100

> Have you ever seen such a song in 7/4 rhythm?  With other words,
> the melody is fine, but the text is `pants' (this is the British
> word I get for the German `grottenschlecht' :-)

Sounds about right!  You must have a fairly good dictionary of
modern British slang, for my Consise Oxford Dictionary doesn't list
this meaning for `pants', but I do know that it means `grossly bad'.

We also have the slang word `grotty', with similar meaning, and
presumably from the same Germanic root;  in a `groff' context, the
connotation is somewhat unfortunate :-)

Cheers,
Keith.