Re: [Groff] groff manpage typo

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff manpage typo
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 16:16:18 +0100

Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
> there is a typo (sort of) in the manpage. concerning the '-Z' option
> it reads:
>
> -Z    Do not postprocess the output of troff that is  normally  called
>       automatically by groff.  This will print the intermediate output
>       to standard output; see groff_out(5).
>
> the first sentence is broken AFAIKS.

Well, maybe `broken' is too strong;  the meaning is fairly obvious,
but grammatically, I agree that it doesn't really make sense.

> maybe it could read, for instance:
>
> "Do not postprocess the output of troff (as is normally done
> automatically).  This will print ..."

I favour this change of wording; it corrects the grammatical sense,
while preserving the originally intended meaning, whereas...

> or, alternatively:
>
> "Do not call any postprocessors (by default, grops(1) is otherwise
> called automatically) and print the intermediate output to stdout,
> see groff_out(5)."

This isn't strictly accurate, for the postprocessor invoked depends
on any `-T' option specified, and therefore may *not* be grops(1); to
suggest that grops(1) is the default, in the context of a description
of the `-Z' option could be misleading, for the `-T' and `-Z' options
are mutually independent.

Regards,
Keith.