Re: [Groff] on MacOSX

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] on MacOSX
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 18:31:19 +0200

Larry Kollar wrote:

Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

well, MacOS is commercial and they seem to be reluctant to update things like, e.g., rsync or groff as fast as they could [...]

Apple updates it when there's a security-related issue. I install groff in /usr/bin, wiping the Apple-supplied version... which means that when Apple releases a patch with a groff fix, it wipes *my* version. Unfortunately, they erase site-font and site-tmac as well -- so if you make use of those directories, keep a copy in your home directory or somewhere else where it won't get stomped. The upside is, Apple generally lets you know when they're updating (i.e. replacing) groff in a patch, so you have some fair warning if you look at the update info.

exactly these problems let me to installing groff somewhere else (and tweaking the search path so that the 'system' groff is no longer found). if you use the 'DarwinPorts' this happens anyway, since they create a complete new branch below '/opt'.

But now that I have finally gotten around to using groff for real work projects, I find myself a little more reticent to install the latest CVS -- even though I made a 1.19.1 package & keep it handy. I probably should make a 1.19.2 package too; I'm using a lot of the latest stuff (PDF, grohtml) and need more.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"