Re: [Groff] Odd problem escaping `.'

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] Odd problem escaping `.'
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 11:31:23 +0100

Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
[Re: availability of SN-DOT, SN-NO-DOT and other s.tmac features]
>>  PORPHANS/HORPHANS
>>    give the user finer control of the number of initial lines of
>>    a paragraph which must be kept together, on the same page, for
>>    free standing paragraphs and after a heading, respectively.
>>
>>  GROWPS/PSINCR
>>    automatic point size scaling for headings, based on the level
>>    set by a .NH or .SH macro call, (.SH now accepts a numeric
>>    argument to facilitate this).
>
> thanks. this is great and I will update to >= 1.19.2. the other
> additional features sound good, too (I was always fighting with
> .KS/.KE blocks against orphaned lines and hacked together the
> automatic point size scaling of headings myself, since this was
> definitely needed).

Yep.  The automatic point size scaling developed from a discussion
we two had, at the time.  If you check in the ChangeLog, you will
note that you are credited with proposing the concept :-)

> and for the layman: 'YMMV' does mean what?

Your mileage may vary; in other words, it may not work as well for
you, as it does for me.  This is particularly true, when attempting
to recreate an intermediate, and incomplete CVS state, some eighteen
months after that state actually existed.  If you can perform a full
upgrade to 1.19.2, that is definitely the more reliable option.

Regards,
Keith.