Re: [Groff] Odd problem escaping `.'

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Odd problem escaping `.'
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 19:42:32 +0100

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 5:47 pm, Louis Guillaume wrote:
> Thank you for the explanation. This is great. "\*[SN]" works.
>
> Note that \*[SN_DOT] does not appear to work!

Sorry, my mistake.  That should have been \*[SN-DOT], and \*[SN-NO-DOT]
for the case without the terminal dot; (IIRC, these two first appeared in
groff-1.19.1 -- it was I who added them -- so they won't be supported in
any earlier version).

> But \*[SN] seems to do the trick.
>
> Is there a document that covers these escapes? I can't find anything in
> groff(7) or in info groff.

`man groff_ms', or the ms section under `Macro Packages' in the info
manual, for the ms specific stuff.  `man 7 groff', (`man -s 7 groff' on
SunOS, or other systems requiring that syntax), does list \& under
`Single Character Escapes'; its use is more fully discussed in the
`Ligatures and Kerning' section of the info manual, (found via the
`Escape Index', from the top node).

Regards,
Keith.