Re: [Groff] gtroff & soelim don't recognize ~ in paths

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] gtroff & soelim don't recognize ~ in paths
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:11:48 -0400

Miklos Somogyi wrote:

Ditto. Environment variables too. Everything valid to the shell, should be valid to groff.
Why? User convenience. Shouldn't this be consideration No 1?
Slight problems: which shell, what OS?

That's exactly the point. I can't believe I'm the first to mention this as a problem in 35 years of *roff's existence. But with groff being cross-platform, ~ might not mean anything to a W32 user. I think using \V[HOME] to pull the home directory from the environment is reasonably portable.

I would rather pay for a thoroughly modern implementation of troff that only inherits the wonderful original ideas but not the constraints of the original times.

Well, groff eliminated what I would consider the biggest constraint of the original: the two-character namespace. The second biggest is Unicode support, and that has both a current workaround and a real fix in CVS. Other things like TOC, Index, cross-references, and bitmap graphic support are supported through long-established workflows, without excess baggage where such things aren't needed.

What do you see as major constraints with groff at this time?

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"