[Groff] Table with running header in man-formatted source?

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: [Groff] Table with running header in man-formatted source?
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:45:50 +0900

Any guidance on how I might be able to get running headers for
tables in source marked up with the man macros?

The XSLT stylesheet I put together for converting HTML table
markup to tbl(1) markup is able to convert Thead instances into
the appropriate tbl/roff markup for indicating a running header.
Please see the attached example. I realize that it'd never work as
is -- that the "TH" macro that's expected to indicate the end of
the running header for a table conflicts with the man macro for
setting the page header/footer. But I've made a variety of
attempts at embedding other roff code to redefine or rename things
in order to try to get it to work as expected (just by copying
stuff over from the /usr/share/groff/1.18.1/tmac/m.tmac file). So
far, nothing I've tried has worked.

I realize the the table running header doesn't get displayed in
console output anyway. But I'm trying to get this to work for the
case where a user might want to generate Postscript/PDF output from
a man page. But no matter what adjustments I make, when I run this:

  man -Tps -l ./tabletest.1 > OUT.ps

I always get this message:

  error: page 2: table will not fit on one page; use .TS H/.TH
  with a supporting macro package

So I'm wondering if there might be some code I can embed in each
generated man page to get groff to recognize and process the
header row(s) as a running header.

  --Mike