[Groff] Re: Possible zsh contention in pdfroff (Re: [autoconf] ensure a

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: [Groff] Re: Possible zsh contention in pdfroff (Re: [autoconf] ensure a VPATH build)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:19:52 +0200

* Noah Misch wrote on Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:01:03PM CEST:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 01:49:12PM +0000, Keith MARSHALL wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone either confirm or refute the hypothesis that there may be
> > a zsh related contention in pdfroff?
>
> I built groff 1.19.2 on powerpc-apple-darwin5.5, and it worked fine.
> This zsh sets NULLCMD=: when invoked as sh:

> $ /bin/sh  -c 'echo $NULLCMD'
> :
> $ /bin/zsh -c 'echo $NULLCMD'
> cat
> $ /bin/zsh -c 'echo $ZSH_VERSION'
> 3.0.8

So for pdfroff this seems indeed irrelevant.  What does
  /bin/zsh -c 'emulate sh; echo $NULLCMD'

output?  If that is `cat', then this is still relevant for configure
scripts: they may, on other systems, choose this zsh version over the
presumably-defective /bin/sh (and also invoke it with that name).

Thanks for checking this,
Ralf