Re: [Groff] Using a Bold Italic font in geqn

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Using a Bold Italic font in geqn
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:55:19 +0200 (CEST)

> I use a lot of overhead slides in my econ teaching (thanks to
> gpresent) which often contain math symbols.  The default math
> symbols are not Bold (in either S or SS).  I have found and
> installed (thanks to the recent advice on doing this) a bold italics
> math font MathDesign-UT-Bold-Italic-MathItalic-10

You have read the man page of afmtodit, haven't you?

> Now I want geqn to use the symbols from this fault instead of from
> SS.  I suppose I could just rename MDUTBIMI (my name for the new
> font) SS in font/devps, but isn't there a more elegant way to do it
> in a document?  (I don't always want to use the new font in geqn.)

As documented in the man page of eqn, you can change the italic font
with `gfont'.  This affects eqn's `italic' keyword.

To replace the symbol glyphs (which basically are fallback glyphs
because no other font contains those glyphs), use the .fspecial and
.special requests.  Note that those requests *replace* the list of
special fonts, they don't add fonts to it.  If you look into
devps/DESC you can see that four special fonts are installed: SS, S,
ZD, and ZDR (they are special because the font description files
contain the word `special' -- this can be controlled with afmtodit's
-s option).  In your case I suggest that you write

  .special MDUTBIMI SS S ZD ZDR

This assures that glyphs not in MDUTBIMI are taken from SS.

You can undo this with

  .special SS S ZD ZDR