Re: [Groff] Inserting/importing jpeg photos into groff text?

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] Inserting/importing jpeg photos into groff text?
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:30:52 +0100

Werner Lemberg wrote:
> Get the netpbm suite of graphic tools!  This is a bunch of small
> filter programs which allows you to do virtually anything with
> graphics and any graphic format.  Conversion from JPEG to EPS is
> done as follows:
>
>  cat foo.jpeg | jpegtopnm | pnmtops > foo.eps
>
> Both jpegtopnm and pnmtops have options to control the conversion
> process.  Note that some crippled shells (like on Windows) don't
> allow such piping; you have to use temporary files instead:

Eh???  Standard cmd.exe, or even the older command.com, should be
well able handle such a pipe, provided the programs can be found in
the PATH.  Clarke mentioned that he was using Cygwin, which most
*definitely* can, as can the MSYS shell which I use.

Of course, `cat' isn't a standard Windows command, (although both
Cygwin and MSYS provide it);  however, you can just as well say:

  jpegtopnm < foo.jpeg | pnmtops > foo.eps

> I'm quite sure that there are precompiled binaries of netpbm for
> your favourite platform available in the internet.  Since netpbm
> tools are working on the command line, no GUI issues can arise.

There may well be a Cygwin specific build available -- I don't know.
I use the GnuWin32 distribution from:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23617&package_id=16357

This is a *native* Win32 port, which should work from *any* shell
running on Win32.

HTH,
Keith.