Re: [Groff] Swedish support

From: Jörgen Grahn
Subject: Re: [Groff] Swedish support
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:29:37 +0100

On Wed Mar 22 07:04:34 2006, address@hidden wrote:
> > Below (and at
> > http://snipabacken.dyndns.org/~grahn/tmp/groff-se.patch) is an
> > update which, as far as I can tell, brings sv.tmac to the same level
> > as fr.tmac.
> > - .hcodes map the accented letters 'e' to plain 'e' -- I hope
> >   that is proper.
>
> Why that?  First, there isn't an `è' in the Swedish hyphenation
> patterns, so you don't need to mention it.

The `è' thing was present in the original sv.tmac, so I chose to preserve it
(but mapped to 'e' for some reason which made more sense to me last night).

> Second, there are patterns
> which use `é', so both `É' and `é' should map to `é'.

Oh. Sorry.

> > - What about the '.ss 12 0' line here and in fr.tmac?  It makes
> >   sense to use it in all documents IMHO, but should these files
> >   activate it?
>
> I think yes.  Compare this with LaTeX's babel mechanism -- the
> decision whether to use \frenchspacing or not is also handled in the
> language files.  AFAIK, Swedish doesn't have an additional space after
> a fullstop.

True, at least for modern Swedish.

> Why do you think that it should not be there?

I think my reasoning was something like "the default .ss 12 12 is annoying
in all languages, so people are likely to do .ss 12 0 anyway".

Maybe '.ss 12 0' is the better choice in all languages? The books here on my
desk (en_US and en_UK) don't seem to have any extra end-of-sentence spacing,
or at least not as much as groff adds by default.

But I don't feel strongly about this issue.

BR,
/Jörgen

--
  // Jörgen Grahn       "Koka lopplummer, bada Ross, loppor borta."
\X/ <address@hidden>                        -- Jonas