Re: [Groff] Swedish support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Swedish support
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 07:04:34 +0100 (CET)

> Below (and at
> http://snipabacken.dyndns.org/~grahn/tmp/groff-se.patch) is an
> update which, as far as I can tell, brings sv.tmac to the same level
> as fr.tmac.

Thanks!  Applied (with minor modifications).  Note that I need a
copyright assignment from you in case you want to contribute more
stuff to groff...

> - .hcodes map the accented letters 'e' to plain 'e' -- I hope
>   that is proper.

Why that?  First, there isn't an `è' in the Swedish hyphenation
patterns, so you don't need to mention it.  Second, there are patterns
which use `é', so both `É' and `é' should map to `é'.

> - I don't really understand the escapes for national characters.
>   Will \[a ao] really end up as 'å'?

Yes.  \[x y ...] defines a composite character.  `ao' as a non-first
argument within \[...] is mappable by `.composite' requests, mainly to
map glyph names of spacing accents to non-spacing ones.  In the file
composite.tmac you can find

  .composite ao u030A

so we have glyph name \[a u030A], which groff internally maps to
u0061_030A, and this is what you find in the font files (see the
groff_char man page).

> I would have expected \[oa].

You can use this too; it is also mapped internally to glyph name
u0061_030A.

> - What about the '.ss 12 0' line here and in fr.tmac?  It makes
>   sense to use it in all documents IMHO, but should these files
>   activate it?

I think yes.  Compare this with LaTeX's babel mechanism -- the
decision whether to use \frenchspacing or not is also handled in the
language files.  AFAIK, Swedish doesn't have an additional space after
a fullstop.  Why do you think that it should not be there?