[Groff] Re: [Fwd: Wrapping Text Around Pictures]

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: [Groff] Re: [Fwd: Wrapping Text Around Pictures]
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:09:40 -0500

Frank Jahnke wrote:

I'm sending you a copy of a message I attempted to post to the groff
group.  When I have done this in the past, I have received a
notification from the moderator that my message was being reviewed
before it was released.  This time, though, I have not received this
notification, nor has the message been posted.

Has something changed with policies governing posting to the group? Or
did this fall into a crack?

I'm not sure -- the list has recently moved from ffii.org to gnu.org, you
already know that because you sent the email to the right place. Maybe
you need to subscribe (or re-subscribe). Werner, do you have any
further insights?

Thanks for your attention to this.  And if you have an answer to the
question, I would most like to learn how to do this.

How does one go about wrapping text around pictures that do not occupy
the entire line width?  PSPIC does not seem to do this, and MPIMG does
not seem to be available with the -ms macros that I normally use.
Output will be to Postscript/PDF. Any advice would be most appreciated!

It has been a long time since I attempted something like this, but
I'll throw out a couple of ideas that might or might not work & perhaps
other listers have some insights. I'll try them later & post it to the Groff
Wiki if they work. Searching the list archives didn't turn up anything
obvious, and there aren't any simple ways that I'm aware of. So...

The brute force method (assuming ms macros). This could probably
be built into a macro.

.\" --------------------------------------------------
.\" not tested - adjust as necessary for graphic width
.de NoWrap
.nr PO \\n[OLDPO]
.po \\n[PO]u
.\" cancel the trap...
.wh \\n[Endofpic]
..
.\" some time later
text text leading up to the graphic text text...
.mk
.PSPIC -L foo.ps 2i
.\" remember where the bottom of the pic is...
.nr Endofpic \[nl]
.\" back up to the top of the pic...
.rt
.\" ...and move the margin over until we get past the picture
.wh \n[Endofpic] NoWrap
.\" Need the following in case there's a paragraph break
.nr OLDPO \n[PO]
.po +2.25i
.nr PO \n[.o]
text getting set alongside the graphic,
automagically returning to the left margin
once past the graphic...
text text....
.\" --------------------------------------------------

The tbl method. Unfortunately, this method won't automatically return
to the left margin.

.\" --------------------------------------------------
.TS
expand;