Re: [Groff] Looping and printing indices in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Looping and printing indices in groff
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:51:03 +0100 (CET)

> Having installed a new font, I now want to print all characters.
> I thought of having a loop:
>
> for i=1 to 350 do X
> "i" "\N'i'"
>
> But this won't work, of course.

Actually, it works -- see below.  I'll update the documentation
(namely that the `c' conditional operator works with \N'...' also).

    Werner

PS: Testing the CR font this way with gs 8.53 shows that a lot of
    glyphs defined in groff's font description file are actually
    missing...  I think this is another, very convincing argument to
    redo the metrics of the standard PS fonts.

.\"
.\" show-glyphs [font]
.\"
.de show-glyphs
.  vs +6
.  ps +5
.  nop All glyphs in font \\$1
.  br
.  ps
.  vs
.
.  nr glyphnum 0
.  nr fails 0
.  ft \\$1
.
.  while (\\n[fails] < 100) \{\
.    ie c \N'\\n[glyphnum]' \{\
.      nop \f[]\\n[glyphnum]: \f[\\$1]\N'\\n[glyphnum]'
.      br
.    \}
.    el \
.      nr fails +1