Re: [Groff] tbl: Standard column width?

From: walter harms
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl: Standard column width?
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 09:36:29 +0100

Hi Werner,
i have noticed the problem also (mostly fixing the problem by adding T{ to every line. a max width sepcifierer would be helpfull.
(forcing a wrap ?)

re,
 walter

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
I would like to know, if there is a standard column width, when I use
the .TS macro?

Yes.  If there are N columns, and a text block spans C columns, the
default width of this text block is

  \n[.l]*C/(N+1)

I've added this information to tbl.man.

The problem is, that the result of the following code is wrapped
text in the second column (independent from MANWIDTH), even if I use
expand:

You might try, say,

  lw(5u*\n[.l]u/12u)lw(5u*\n[.l]u/12u)

as the format specificier to slightly increase the width.