[Groff] Re: grap-1.36 clip and logscale patch

From: Ted Faber
Subject: [Groff] Re: grap-1.36 clip and logscale patch
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:48:37 -0800

Thanks for the close reading of the examples file.

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:13:48AM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > If you get a chance, have a look at
> > http://www.lunabase.org/~faber/Vault/software/grap/grap-1.38pre.tar.gz
> > unless I hear very bad news from you or my bug reporter, I'm going to
> > roll this out in the next few days.
>
> . Pages 16, 36, 38, 41, and 51 of example.ms show bad formatting of
>   the source code -- it sticks out to the right.  I've just skimmed
>   quickly through the document, so I may have missed something.

Fixed.  I had a \ in the display that was not escaped, so the lines
rejoined.

> . Page 41 also shows ugly spacing.  Maybe you should use \: to insert
>   zero-width break points into the URLs.

I changed font to italics and it looks much better.

> . Another thing which makes me wonder is the vertical axis label on
>   e.g. page 5.  I can't see any reason why there is such a big gap
>   between the label and the graph compared to the very similar source
>   code (w.r.t. labels) on page 6.  It seems that the default tick
>   strings start with a lot of whitespace, but this is just a wild
>   guess.

These were just bad values for left and right modifiers to the label
statements.  I don't know why they were so bad, but I walked through and
fixed them.  It was particularly striking on those two because the font
change messed things up some.

> . On page 21 you should say
>
>     $y prime = ...$
>
>   instead of
>
>     $y sup prime = ...$
>
>   to get a correctly scaled prime glyph.

Indeed, much better.

I'll send another note when I've rolled the new tarball.

--
http://www.lunabase.org/~faber
Unexpected attachment? http://www.lunabase.org/~faber/FAQ.html#SIG