Re: [Groff] PS printing - was Re: `Idot' vs. `Idotaccent'

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey
Subject: Re: [Groff] PS printing - was Re: `Idot' vs. `Idotaccent'
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 12:36:34 +1030

On Friday, 10 March 2006 at 17:28:51 +0300, Michail Vidiassov wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> let us run some survey.
> Please, tell us, how do you use groff PS output.

I use PostScript output for almost everything.  My book "The Complete
FreeBSD" (http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/) is written
in groff and made available as PostScript.  Just occasionally I use
nroff to make texts for markup and review.

> Do you know how other people use it?
> Is it really in use?

Yes.

> Do you use fonts supplied with groff or install your own font files?

I've had problems with fonts when converting from PostScript to PDF
when using the default fonts: ligatures are incorrectly spaced.  This
isn't a groff problem, of course, but it's annoying and I can't find a
way around it.  When I specifically download the fonts, it works fine,
but there are no .afm files for the default fonts.  If anybody can
help, I'd be grateful.

> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
>>> Are you sure groff is used to print manuals directly on PS 2
>>> printers that often?  I guess thet grops output is more likely to be
>>> handled by some printing software, like ghostscript, often to make
>>> PDF.
>>
>> Well, I have a 10 years old Apple LaserWriter printer (which comes
>> with an original Adobe PS interpreter), and I normally don't create a
>> PDF document from the PS original just for printing...
>
> Do you print groff PS output for any purposes but test?
> But, on the other hand, may be you are printing more pages
> created with grops then the rest of humanity.

I think this and the other responses to your message suggest that this
is a misassumption.

Greg

--
Finger address@hidden for PGP public key