Re: [texinfo-pretest] [Groff] Manuals in pdf format

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [texinfo-pretest] [Groff] Manuals in pdf format
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 19:54:58 +0100 (CET)

>     you select page `13' in acroread, you actually go to the page
>     labeled `13' which is physical page 36 or so.  To go to page
>     `xiii', you have to type `xiii' in the `go to Page' dialogue.
>
> It's not clear to me that this is necessarily an improvement, if
> this behavior is unalterable.  Sometimes I want to go to physical
> page numbers, sometimes to logical.

In acroread you can control this with

  Edit->Preferences->Page Display->Use logical page numbers

> Nor, perhaps most importantly, do I want to add a feature that only
> works with nonfree software.

Bear in mind that this feature is always optional.  You can, for
example, display the PDF reference with xpdf also (which then uses
physical page numbers).  I don't see any problem here.  There's a lot
of free software which supports the PDF standard, so why not support
this particularly nice feature?

> It doesn't sound terribly difficult to add, though.

I have the same feeling -- it's just filling up a single dictionary
with the numbers of pages of the TOC.  Unfortunately, my PDF knowledge
is too limited to add this to texinfo.