Re: [texinfo-pretest] [Groff] Manuals in pdf format

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [texinfo-pretest] [Groff] Manuals in pdf format
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:50:14 -0600

Hi Werner,

    you select page `13' in acroread, you actually go to the page labeled
    `13' which is physical page 36 or so.  To go to page `xiii', you have
    to type `xiii' in the `go to Page' dialogue.

It's not clear to me that this is necessarily an improvement, if this
behavior is unalterable.  Sometimes I want to go to physical page
numbers, sometimes to logical.  Especially if the free viewers ignore
the info at present -- then acrobat would behave one way and xpdf/gv
another.  That doesn't sound too good.  Nor, perhaps most importantly,
do I want to add a feature that only works with nonfree software.

    So my question: Is anybody from the texinfo team going to add this?

Since I've never heard of it before your message :), no, nothing is in
the works.  It doesn't sound terribly difficult to add, though.

    At least I ask to put it on the TODO list.

Sure.

Thanks for mentioning it.

karl