Re: [Groff] Macro rename - what am I doing wrong?

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Macro rename - what am I doing wrong?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:45:04 -0800

Thanks.  I really wanted to avoid the .TH first so I ended up modifying
an-old.tmac and just using that.  But your way is nice and taught me
why .nop exists.

One problem that is making me scratch my head is that running a number of
man pages through groff -Tascii is doing some sort of vertical space
that causes the tail of one man page to overlap the head of the next
one.  Consider this:

cat > test <<EOF
.TH command 1 date company manual
.SH NAME
command \- do something
.SH CATEGORY
.B Something
.TH foo 1 bar blech snafu
.SH NAME
foofrog \- do something else
.SH CATEGORY
.B XYZ
EOF

and then do this

        groff -Tascii -man test

command(1)                          manual                          command(1)

NAME
       command - do something

CATEGORY
foo(1)                               snafu                              foo(1)

       Something

NAME
       foofrog - do something else

CATEGORY
       XYZ

blech                                 bar                               foo(1)

What I would expect to see is this:

command(1)                          manual                          command(1)

NAME
       command - do something

CATEGORY
       Something

company                              date                           command(1)

foo(1)                               snafu                              foo(1)

NAME
       foofrog - do something else

CATEGORY
       XYZ

blech                                 bar                               foo(1)

Any ideas?
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com