[Groff] Re: unicode support, part 13: \-

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: [Groff] Re: unicode support, part 13: \-
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:27:22 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> >   - make glyphuni.cpp consistent with devhtml and devutf8. groff
> >     currently already converts "\-" to U+2212 in the output; this
> >     change to glyphuni.cpp doesn't change the behaviour, unless
> >     composed characters will be used.
> >
> > -//{ "\\-", "2212" },
> > +  { "\\-", "2212" },
>
> This change doesn't make sense.  It's not possible to use a backslash
> within \[...].  Consequently, glyph names which start with a backslash
> can't be used as composites.

The patch part 14 uses the glyph_name_to_unicode() function at a different
place, namely for any glyphs, not only composed ones. Patch part 13 was
meant as a preparation for part 14.

> Instead of \- simply use glyph `mi'
> which is an alias defined for all devices.

But when the input file contains   \-   and not   \(mi
and the output device is devutf8 or devhtml, the   \-   must somehow be
mapped to Unicode. If you don't want to do it in glyphuni.cpp, then you
need to do it in devutf8/R.proto and devhtml/R.proto. My patch attempted
to unify this as most as possible.

Bruno