[Groff] Re: unicode support, part 13: \-

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: unicode support, part 13: \-
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:53:45 +0100 (CET)

>   - make glyphuni.cpp consistent with devhtml and devutf8. groff
>     currently already converts "\-" to U+2212 in the output; this
>     change to glyphuni.cpp doesn't change the behaviour, unless
>     composed characters will be used.
>
> -//{ "\\-", "2212" },
> +  { "\\-", "2212" },

This change doesn't make sense.  It's not possible to use a backslash
within \[...].  Consequently, glyph names which start with a backslash
can't be used as composites.  Instead of \- simply use glyph `mi'
which is an alias defined for all devices.

BTW, I consider it a very obscure feature of groff to allow glyph
names of the form \X (`X' a single, almost arbitrary character).  Now
that the non-algorithmical glyph names of groff are frozen, we can
safely ignore it.

\- is the only `official' glyph name starting with a backslash.  The
entries \` and \' in devhtml and devutf8 are wrong, and I've just
removed them.  (The input sequences \` and \' are mapped to glyphs
`ga' and `aa', respectively.)