[Groff] Re: unicode support, part 10: \[shc] and the soft hyphen in HTML

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: unicode support, part 10: \[shc] and the soft hyphen in HTML
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:43:01 +0100 (CET)

> I will add the `shc' entry back to grohtml.

After some thinking I've now decided not to do this.  Reason is that
we need a different mechanism for proper `­' support.  Currently,
groff emits a soft hyphen glyph only at line ends: With other words,
`­' (or rather `­') has never been emitted for -Thtml because
groff doesn't break lines for this output device.

For HTML output, `\%' should be directly passed through, this is, all
`\%' escapes within a word should be converted to `­', without any
further interpretation.  I can even imagine a special mode where
grohtml emits additional `­' entities at all possible hyphenation
points.