[Groff] Re: unicode support, many parts - what for?

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: [Groff] Re: unicode support, many parts - what for?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:07:31 +0100

Michail Vidiassov wrote:
> may you, please, explain to mere mortals what user-visible changes
> arise (are likely to arise) from this swarm of patches?

The expected user-visible change over time is improved Unicode support.
So far, before today's patches, there were no user-visible changes, as I've
worked only on the internal infrastructure.

If you find other user-visible changes, they are likely to be bugs, therefore
we would like to hear about them!

> Any changes in config files (font files)?

Yes, the font files of the devhtml and devutf8 devices will be heavily
changed.

> Is CJK suppport one of the reasons behind the changes?

Sure. And Vietnamese support. And built-in Russian support without hacks.
Hebrew/Arabic/Farsi support is not in our agenda for the moment.

Bruno