Re: [Groff] Re: Bug in mm macro package

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Bug in mm macro package
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:49:48 -0700

When I used AT&T troff at HP about 15-20 years ago, there was no
".fam" request available, and \fR *always* went to "Times Roman".
The advantage of using \f1 through \f4 in text and the .fp request
was that one could rearrange the typography of a 3000 page manual by
changing the font selected by each .fp request in the macro package,
which meant one needed to alter no more than four lines.  I used
New Century Schoolbook for fonts 1, 2, and 3, and Courier for font
4.  They were specified by four lines in the manpage macros I was
using that I had modified from the AT&T to suit my own purposes.

I assume the .fam request came along when groff was invented...

I still like specifying font positions, but I never got involved
in using a font option in the command line.  The big advantage I
see for using .fp is that you can standardize fonts for an entire
set of manuals or other printed products coming out of a shop,
and you don't expose yourself to some individual choosing an
alternate font in a commercial publication without approval.

Clarke

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

 <snip>

The patch you provide is problematic.  In GNU troff, positions 1-4 are
associated with font styles, not with real names.  This makes it
possible to change the base font very conveniently without touching a
`standard' document which uses R, B, I, and BI (and S) and nothing
else.  (Do this with either the `.fam' request or with the -f command
line option of groff.)

In my opinion it is an abuse to select fonts directly with numeric
positions.  The very reason why .ft and \f accept numerical values is
that number register .f (which gives the ID of the current font)
returns a numerical value.

With other words, if the mm macros use \f[B], the bold series of the
current font family (as set with the .fam request) should be used.

  <snip>

Comments?