Re: [Groff] Floating point arithmetic in groff

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Floating point arithmetic in groff
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 02:46:06 +1100

On 01/02/2006, at 3:31 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

When implementing a feature requires less work than a few
workarounds, isn't it time to implement the feature :-) ?

Hehe.  Have a look at this ooooold patch which I've received six years
ago from Abramo.

If you find it useful, and someone invests time to update the code to
the current CVS (*together* with updates to the various documentation
files -- this takes much more time than applying the patch itself),
I'll add it.

    Werner

Being illiterate in C and its ilk I can only guess that this patch is about the evaluation of real expressions
wherever they may lurk in a groff document.

If so, I'm glad to see environment variables in it. I would add "atan2" to the list of functions, more useful than
atan.

Error message on div by 0 is fine, but overflow may also occur by dividing with some small number as well. If I remember well, IEEE's NaN is where all the exponent bits are 1 and the fraction bits are not all 0. This could be (should be??) checked and an error message given after the deed.

All this stuff brought back memories when I wrote a "fast" float package for the PDP-8, pre-float_hardware
days. Jeez, we were young then.

Miklos