Re: [Groff] comments

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] comments
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:54:55 +0100 (CET)

> For the first step, the support of all Unicode characters without
> huge data tables, I intend to submit modifications to the following
> files:

Thanks!

While I fully agree that groff's source code files should have much
more comments, I'm not really happy with the layout you provide in
your patch.  James Clark's code has a certain compactness which I
would like to retain, especially while defining classes and
structures.  I also prefer having no variable names in declarations.
Please have a look at what is committed now.

Some comments.

  . Please provide patches with option -u which makes it easier for me
    to read them.

  . Use `XXX' instead of 'XXX' and "XXX" in comments.

  . Use //, not /* ... */ where applicable.

  . Don't use `character' if you really mean `glyph'.  It is quite a
    hard job to get a clean separation between these two things within
    the groff sources due to history.

  . There appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding of glyph boxes.
    Similar to TeX, a glyph box is always a rectangle, even for
    slanted fonts.  Consequently, I've replaced all occurrences of
    `parallelogram' with `rectangle'.

  . I rewrote the explanation of `skew'.