Re: [Groff] Bullets in manual pages and -K groff option

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bullets in manual pages and -K groff option
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:01:19 +0100

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> because of the unknown interaction between libiconv and glibc. I
> tested libiconv by installing in into /opt/libiconv. I heard that users
> screwed up their systems by installing libiconv into /usr, and thus I
> won't do this myself. Clarification is needed from the maintainer of
> libiconv upon possible consequences.

Indeed GNU libiconv is not recommended for wide-spread use on glibc systems.
Simply because you don't need two character conversion facilities in the
system. One is enough, and it is in glibc.

You can screw up your system by installing _anything_ with --prefix=/usr.

Some programs also may not build and link correctly with GNU libiconv if
they have only been tested on normal Linux systems so far.

Other than that, there's no problem installing GNU libiconv in /opt.

Bruno