Re: [Groff] source files with same name

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] source files with same name
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:53:29 +0000

Werner Lemberg wrote, quoting Bruno Haible:
>> For example, src/roff/troff/input.cpp could be renamed to
>> troffinput.cpp.
>
> Mhmm, doing this is a pain in the neck...  I really would like to
> avoid that.  BTW, you are the first person who complains.

I completely agree.

To suggest that path names for source files are not available within
the debugger is clearly nonsense -- if this were the case, it would
be impossible to debug, at source level, unless all source files
were in the current directory.  This surely is not the case; I have
never experienced the slightest problem with gdb, or indeed with
any other debugger.

>> Hmm, indeed some parts of the debug info appear to have the full
>> file name.
>
> Maybe a bug in gcc/g++?  IMHO file names in the debug info should
> always be stored as absolute.

>> and when I build with $builddir != $srcdir, I get absolute
>> pathnames everywhere...

This would suggest a possible cause for the problem: when building
in place, i.e. with $builddir == $srcdir, then perhaps gcc/g++ *don't*
include the full path name for the source file, in the debug info.  If
this is indeed the case, then again, I agree completely with Werner;
this is simply bad design within GCC.  (Probably I've never noticed
this problem, because I *never* build in place, unless the package
I'm building forces me to do so).

Regards,
Keith.