Re: [Groff] source files with same name

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] source files with same name
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:49:51 +0100 (CET)

> One thing is not comfortable when working with the groff sources: the
> existence of several source files with the same basename.  [...]
>
> The problem that it is causing me is that in the Eclipse 3.1 IDE
> that I'm using, when I start the 'troff' program under the debugger,
> the IDE wants to show me a breakpoint in src/roff/troff/input.cpp,
> but for some reason it shows src/libs/libdriver/input.cpp, which
> doesn't even contain the line where the breakpoint is.
>
> The source of the problem appears to be that the ELF binary format
> used on Linux contains only the basenames of the source files in the
> debugging information.  I.e. _every_ IDE must have the same problem,
> unless you tell it explicitly which input.cpp is used in which of
> groff's executables.

Hmm, working with plain gdb is just fine.  Looking into my troff
binary I see file names with all directories -- this is g++ 3.3.3,
running on GNU/Linux 2.6.5.

> Can you make it more comfortable to work with the groff sources, by
> renaming some of the files?

Are you *really* sure that this is a limitation of the ELF format and
not a bug in the Eclipse IDE?  I simply can't believe that...

Using gdba under Emacs, it also works just fine.

> For example, src/roff/troff/input.cpp could be renamed to
> troffinput.cpp.

Mhmm, doing this is a pain in the neck...  I really would like to
avoid that.  BTW, you are the first person who complains.