Re: [Groff] macro `st' not defined

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] macro `st' not defined
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:31:05 +0000

Werner Lemberg wrote, quoting Bruno Haible:
>> During normal "make" of the current CVS, I get this warning message.
>>
>> <standard input>:63: warning: macro `st' not defined
>
> This is normal.  I still have no documentation how this `.st' request
> should behave and what it does exactly.  It appears to be an ancient
> TROFF extension (Sun's troff?) somehow related to `stipple'.

I've noticed this warning myself, and confess that, while I've often
considered questioning it, I've never gotten around to doing so.

To avoid such similar queries in future, and in the absence of any
definitive specification for implementing `.st', would it not be prudent
to provide an appropriately commented interim `no-op' implementation;
(i.e. a true `no-op', without the side effects of the `.nop' request)?

Just a thought.

Regards,
Keith.