Re: [Groff] folding preconv into soelim?

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] folding preconv into soelim?
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:23:34 +0000

Gaius Mulley wrote, quoting Werner Lemberg:
>> I further believe that the `.mso' request should *not* be involved in
>> encoding conversion issues.
>
> sounds like an excellent idea - my only slight worry is that `.mso' is
> treated differently to `.so' as it would force `.mso' to be only used
> to include macros rather than text. Just wondering what happens if
> text needs to be encoded within something.tmac ?

The assumption here would appear to be that any file sourced from a
GROFF_TMAC_PATH directory is already encoded in a charset which troff
will understand.  Is that really such an unreasonable expectation?

If you do prepare something.tmac with an alien encoding, is there any
reason why you can't pass it through preconv, when you install it into
your chosen GROFF_TMAC_PATH directory?

I think I lean towards agreement with Werner on this, although I don't
have any particularly strong opinion on the matter.

Best regards,
Keith.