[Groff] Re: What's missing for Unicode support of groff?

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: What's missing for Unicode support of groff?
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 13:44:02 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Thanks.  Note that I don't like libutf-8 (besides licensing issues see
http://jamesthornton.com/linux/HOWTO/Unicode-HOWTO-6.html).  Instead,
I want handling of UTF-8 completely in gpreconv.

Drawbacks:

Non-standard API.
- Not an issue.
 We call one function once.

UTF-8 is compiled in, not optional. Programs compiled with this library lose support for the 8-bit encodings which are still frequently used in Europe.
- Again not an issue.
 We use it not for all input-output, but just for UTF.

Installation is nontrivial: Makefile needs tweaking, not autoconfiguring.
- No problem at all. No need to install and link against.
 Just #input one source file.
 This way an UTF converter independent of any external conversion library
 can be made quickly. See attached file.

But licensing issues are your turf,
I have nothing to say about that.

             Sincerely, Micahil