Re: [Groff] Table Macros

From: Joachim Walsdorff
Subject: Re: [Groff] Table Macros
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:58:05 +0100

Hi Werner,

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

I wrote some groff-macros for tables.

*Very* impressive!  I think that many, many groff users can use this.

Thanks for the compliment.

  A table with two columns and two rows (cellcontents in this
  example are rownumber*columnnumber) is written as:

     .TBL cols=2 .TR .TD 1*1 .TD 1*2 .TR .TD 2*1 .TD 2*2 .ETB

  Here we see a difference with HTML tables: at the time the number
  of columns must be specified explicitly via cols=m (or indirectly
  via the width-argument, see later).

Hmm, why this restriction?  It looks to me that this can be overcome
(this is a first wild guess based on the work I've done for doc.tmac).
I don't see an easy solution for this without using a preprocessor or at least an external utility program via .sy or .pso or so, and both i try to avoid.

What's the license of your code?  Could I include it as a contributed
package to groff (I would need a copyright assignment)?

I copied the license text from groff(7) and added it to the manpage- and tmac-files.

Joachim