[Groff] Localization package

From: Fabrice Ménard
Subject: [Groff] Localization package
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:07:50 +0100

I found a subtle problem with a translated string.  It concerns the mm package
and the string for the abstract title with accented letters:

in fr.tmac we've got:
.ds \*[locale]-abstract R\[E ']SUM\[E ']\"
in trans.tmac:
.als cov*abs-name \*[locale]-abstract

The problem is that address@hidden in ms.cov is called like this:
address@hidden "R\[E" "']SUM\[E" "']"

(i.e. it is called with three arguments due to spaces in the string)

So when it's time to print, groff complains with:
'A newline character is not allowed in an escape name'

I can't find a clean way to solve this:
  -  Prepending the translated string with "" works for the abstract in the
first page of the document, but the second one (.MT 4 mode) contains one "
before the string.
  -  Using É directly instead the escape mecanism is coding dependant.

Any clue ?

Note: I don't know if this happens with other accented strings.

--
Fabrice Ménard
address@hidden