RE: [Groff] picture placing

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] picture placing
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:59:47 -0000 (GMT)

On 14-Nov-05 walter harms wrote:
> Hi list,
> is there an easy way to place a picture ?
>
> The design (a4 long):
> two on top of each other with 4 and 3 columns. The "empty" column
> should
> be filled with a piucture. i tried with .PSPIC and \X:import
> but causing havoc the to page onlY
>
> basicly it should look like this. 2 tables and X marks the picture.
>
>   +--+--+--+
>   +--+--+--+
>
>   +--+--+\/
>   +--+--+/\
>
> re,
>   walter

There are several oprtions for this sort of thing, depending
on precisely what you want to do. I have to make this a quick
reply, so here is one way.

Suppose you want the picture to really belong to the second
table.

Define -- before you embark on the table -- a string

.ds mypic \Z''v'XXXu'\X'ps: import picture.eps llx lly urx ury Wunits''

where:

XXX is the intended height of the picture in units,
picture .eps is the EPS file of your picture,
llx, lly, urx, ury are the coordinates of the bottom left
  and top right coirners of the picture (you get these from the
  "%%BoundingBox: llx lly urx ury" line in the EPS file),
Wunits is the number of units of the printed width of the
  picture that you want (units = 1000xPoints).

You may have to edit some of these numbers (XXX in particular,
also perhaps Wunits) to get the right result.

Then you can set up your table 2 like

.TS
tab(#);
l l l.
Row1 Col1#Row1 Col 2#\*[mypic]
Row2 Col1#Row2 Col2#
.TE

The "\Z'...'" in \*[mypic] means that drawing the picture
will cause no displacement of the printing position from
the point where it was initiated, so should not mess up
anything.

And, in other contexts, you can use the same "\Z'...'"
device for the same purpose.

Hoping this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>