Re: [Groff] Groff mingwPORT Released

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff mingwPORT Released
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 21:26:02 +0000

On Friday 04 November 2005 6:20 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > * Automated patching of the source tree, to add a `bindist' make
> >   target, so facilitating the creation of redistributable pre-built
> >   binary packages; (the necessary patches are in the included
> >   `mingwPORT.patch' file).
>
> This could be added to groff sources directly...

Indeed, it could.  I developed it initially for the mingwPORT, because it was
appropriate in that context.  The mingwPORT patch file would probably need
minimal rework, to integrate it directly into the groff sources.  My primary
motivation, in posting this, was to gauge the level of interest in doing that.

There is, actually, another issue which is addressed in the mingwPORT scripts
I've provided -- that of cross-compiling.  Groff's build system does not
readily accommodate a one shot cross build, because a part native, part cross
build is necessary.  The `mingwPORT.beforeconfigure' script illustrates the
required procedure to set up the native mode pre-build.

Regards,
Keith.