Re: [Groff] Re: Info versus man

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Info versus man
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:46:08 -0400

Keith Marshall wrote:

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 9:28 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Am I missing something?  For building the info files you need the
`texinfo' package but no TeX, and this is a developer's prerequisite I
won't drop.

Attempting to build from CVS, without texinfo installed, or with texinfo version < 4.8, causes make to abort at the point where the info files should
be compiled.  Immediately typing `make' again resumes the build, which
apparently completes successfully, but leaves corrupt info files in the build tree. A `make install' at this point would appear to complete successfully,
but the installed info files would be invalid.

Keith is correct. Personally, I think it's kind of sloppy to have that happen; the info files aren't necessary for using groff so I think the Right Thing is
to have an option to disable building them.

Now I don't blame you for balking; autoconf is a hideous beast & I don't
like to poke around in there either. :-)

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"