Re: [Groff] Re: Info versus man

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Info versus man
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:11:59 +0100

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 9:28 pm, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Am I missing something?  For building the info files you need the
> `texinfo' package but no TeX, and this is a developer's prerequisite I
> won't drop.

Attempting to build from CVS, without texinfo installed, or with texinfo
version < 4.8, causes make to abort at the point where the info files should
be compiled.  Immediately typing `make' again resumes the build, which
apparently completes successfully, but leaves corrupt info files in the build
tree.  A `make install' at this point would appear to complete successfully,
but the installed info files would be invalid.

Perhaps this should be cause for checking first of all if texinfo is
required, (indicated by nonexistence of the info files in the source tree),
and then confirming that it is available, at a suitable version number, and
skipping the compilation and installation of the info files if not, in a
similar fashion to the handling of HTML and PDF (for pdfmark.tmac) docs, if
their prerequisite tools are missing.

Best regards,
Keith.