Re: [Groff] Re: Info versus man

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Info versus man
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:46:42 -0700

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:36:43AM -0600, D. E. Evans wrote:
>    > Perhaps only rms, and a couple of others actually use 'GNU OS,'
>    > but those who do, use info.  I wouldn't say they it is right to
>    > call all GNU OS users, developers.
>
>    This sounds like you are basing your arguments on people who use a
>    100% pure GNU system.  If that's the case, that's not going to get
>    any traction because there are very, very, very few of those people.
>
> I think you are absolutely correct.

OK, so catering to the whims of a few to the detriment of many seems
pendantic.

So how about this?  Why not let the users/developers decide?  What's wrong
with the roff people working on roff based docs and the info people
working on info based docs and let the users use whatever they want?

The GNU project has tried for years to kill man pages (with little
success) by ignoring them.  I'm not proposing that texinfo get ignored,
I'm suggesting that there is at least one person out here (me) who would
do some real work on roff's docs if the format was roff.  From what I
can tell, I'm not alone.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com