[Groff] Re: Info versus man

From: D. E. Evans
Subject: [Groff] Re: Info versus man
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:22:53 -0600 (MDT)

   Having info as the only default is an unfortunate decision IMHO.  It
   makes sense for big projects, but otherwise this guideline should be
   ignored, or rather, the man page should have priority.

I don't remember the details, but I seem to remember Stallman's
reasoning was Donald Knuth's involvment with TeX, and Stallman's
use of it with MIT.  roff may have also been unavailable at the
time, necessitating a different document format.  I may have my
chronology out of order, however.  Either way, Stallman invented
texinfo, and it's one of his babies, like Emacs.  Unfortunately,
we're now stuck with info, but I agree with Werner, if he thinks
the guidelines can be ignored, please do so.

       It seems to me that the apathy regarding `info' is no longer
       justified -- at least not in the extent expressed on this list.

There's that irony thing again...