[Groff] Info versus man

From: D. E. Evans
Subject: [Groff] Info versus man
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:14:57 -0600 (MDT)

   > So again, a *GNU* user will be looking to info everytime, not a
   > man page.

   Wrong.  A GNU *developer* may look to info; judging by the tone of

Perhaps only rms, and a couple of others actually use 'GNU OS,'
but those who do, use info.  I wouldn't say they it is right to
call all GNU OS users, developers.

   of UNIX, seem to prefer man.  (And Werner, as groff maintainer, seems
   to be sitting on the fence somewhat, perhaps feeling duty bound to
   support info, but with undertones of a hankering for man).

I sit on this fence, too.  Then again, I've moved away from the
GNU website, where everything was political: the proverbial
jumping the fence, if you will.  I have a personal hankering for
man.  I think groff is better than texinfo, but as GNU is not
UNIX, man is not GNU.

Again, there's an irony to groff being a GNU project.  Perhaps its
use can influence GNU OS.  The developer guidelines suggest help2man
for conversion from info.  Perhaps the opposite approach might
work for us?