Re: [Groff] Re: Introduction

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Introduction
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:45:27 +0200 (CEST)

> The GNU OS developer guidelines are explicit in demanding info as
> the default, and in suggesting that man pages may not be suitable
> for a project.

This is true.  On the other hand, even Emacs comes with a fine man
page, describing its command line switches (it says that it will only
be updated on a volunteer basis, but actually it appears up to date).
Everything else, of course, is in the info pages for good reasons.

Having info as the only default is an unfortunate decision IMHO.  It
makes sense for big projects, but otherwise this guideline should be
ignored, or rather, the man page should have priority.

    Werner

PS: Using (recent versions of) info for displaying man pages works
    quite fine nowadays.  Version 4.8 even supports SGR on terminals!
    Just try `info grotty'.  What's missing is the code to adapt the
    output of the nroff call to the display width.  Someone should
    send a bug report to the info maintainers...

    It seems to me that the apathy regarding `info' is no longer
    justified -- at least not in the extent expressed on this list.