Re: [Groff] Re: Introduction

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: Introduction
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:55:01 +0100

[Concerning the availability of man vs. info pages]

D. E. Evans wrote:
> I agree.  However, as a GNU program, GNU users are going to
> automatically look at info, not man...

Says who?  I'm a GNU/Linux user, and I will go for the man page
first, every time.

As others have said, it is intensely irritating to say `man foo',
only to be referred to an info document.  Even more irritating to
be referred to an info document for more information, only to find
there a verbatim copy of what I've just read in the man page, with
nothing added, or to say `info bar', to be told "no info on bar",
and then be presented with a manpage, but having to use info's
interface to peruse it.

Regards,
Keith.